Basic Laser Technique Laboratory
The goal of the practicum is to get the basic practical skills in laser physics and to learn to work independently on a given problem, to formulate the task and to present the results.
In academic year 2017/2018 the laboratory will be scheduled in Trojanova 13, Praha 2, CTU campus, lab Tn228, Wednesday 13:30. Detail task schedule will be specified after the first meeting and published in Czech version of this page only. With organizing questions contact dr. Gavrilov.
The internal code of this course is 12ZPLT. Students are evaluated by graded assessment with value of 6 credits.
In academic year 2017/2018 ERASMUS student is in singular group "F" scheduled from Feb 28 to Apr 25, starting with task no. 3, see schedule in Czech version. May 9 is a spare time slot.
Old versions of task instructions are valid even for current academic year.
General laser safety precautions
- Use appropriate protective glasses.
- Open laser output shutter for necessary time only.
- Never use the eye as a laser beam detector; use visualizers plate, a camera, or a photodetector.
- Always terminate the laser beam optical path, either by beam stop (black plate) or a photodetector. The optical path should be straight, horizontal, and as short as possible.
- Free-running and Q-switched Nd:YAG laser, laser amplifier and second harmonic generation
- Diode pumped Nd:YAG laser
- He-Ne laser glow discharge properties
- TEA CO2 laser parameters and marking application
- Spectral characteristics of optical components
- Nonlinear transmission of saturable absorbers
- The measurement of a transverse profile of laser beam by Knife Edge method
- Acousto-optical modulator with traveling and standing acoustic wave
Rules for academic year 2017/2018:
- One group – one protocol, no waste words, required results only.
- Protocol has to be sent electronically to email address in footer in 1 week after measurement with code 12ZPLT in subject line, i. e. before next measurement. No protocol – no access to lab.
- The preparation will be tested in beggining, unprepared student will be rejected (to the spare time slot).
- The clasification is individual based on protocols and overall activities in lab. The clasification record will be done by dr. Gavrilov.
- For classification discussion kindly save your own laboratory log (in electronic or paper form).